Why We Are Moving To A Barndominium
- There are several advantages of adding a “granny unit” or small, comfortable and livable space to your barn. The dwelling can become a source of income, a portion of a manager or key employee’s compensation, or a way to increase security since a building that is lived in is less susceptible to vandalism or theft.
- An apartment or full-scale housing addition can also serve as a home for a future caregiver if you choose to age-in-place, or it can become your future home when you are ready for a single-story and more accessible space when you’re older, transforming the main house into a future rental revenue source.
- Use it as a weekend home. Do you raise livestock on a remote piece of property? Do you own a rural piece of land out in the country? Rather than staying in your RV or camper, you can create a small studio or comfortable one bedroom space that makes a perfect weekend home when you need to check on the animals or are ready for a little getaway.
- Your weekend home can also work as a potential weekend or vacation rental, easy to advertise on airbnb.com, where places like this are ultra-desirable to city dwellers or families who want a glimpse of rural life.
Simplify Your Life
- After COVID-19, many couples and families strive to live a more simplified life. A barndominium makes that life possible. You have plenty of space to live, work, homeschool children or enjoy a mortgage-free life in a shorter amount of time because engineered wood frame buildings are so more affordable and efficient than their traditional counterparts.Take the example of a couple from North Texas.
- While their home in an upscale Dallas suburb was beautiful and spacious, they were ready for a lower-maintenance lifestyle. They love horses so they sold their house in the suburbs and built a rural barndo on a beautiful piece of property. They were quoted as saying, “We don’t have a grand lifestyle, so why do we need a grand house?…There is a freedom in living simply.”
Enjoy Your Dream Property
- For many, the cost of the acreage they want to own, work and live in puts a dent in their housing budget. With an engineered wood frame barn that has live-in capabilities, you can enjoy that 25-, 50- or 200-acre ranch property.
- Your living expenses can be included in the budget instead of having to sacrifice acreage to incorporating the new construction budget for a separate home.
Barndominiums can be highly customized, creating an interiors that look every bit as attractive as a conventional home. They offer a way to enjoy a low-maintenance lifestyle at an affordable price, making it affordable and sustainable to live, work and play on a single piece of property. Still have questions about barndos? Check out our FAQs or fill out our online contact form.